Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentines Day from the House of Cynics

In France, Valentines Day is only for lovers - grown up couples - my children tell me (curse you French Conversation class). Although the story of their teacher being horrified when her newly-moved-to-the-USA children told her they had to bring valentines for everyone in their classes -well, that was a good story. And an interesting one. I made chocolate covered strawberries anyway - our only real valentine tradition over here.
Kyle made his own valentine container to resemble a poisonous snake habitat. Brown box and snake skin duct tape? Wha? Fourth graders were asked to put hints about themselves around their boxes. I offered to help Kyle use magnet tape to keep his hints closed. "Nah," he replied, "clear tape is fine…" (If it made a noise, you would have heard my throat constrict just a wee bit right then.) For the love of washi, have I taught my kids nothing?
 
"Valentines Day is just to put pressure on people to spend money," said my head-over-heels-in-love-with-me-husband. (Hah! That's one point for writing whatever you want on your own blog!) Cynicism abounds.
We gave our kids gluten free chocolate bars and Skittles anyways - no complainers there. Today is grey and cold. I like this holiday - it's not just for lovers. It doesn't even have to be about love at all. It's just a little reminder about sweetness and life. That's all. And I'll take it! Happy Valentines Day! xo

No comments: