Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Gorgeous Cookies

When we had our first friend over after our move to Connecticut, she entered my little house and upon being offered these cookies said, "Oh, they're gorgeous!" Hm? She spoke just like Martha Stewart (if that helps you imagine this) and I was completely intrigued...I didn't realize all my neighbors would speak just like Martha.
Well, all Connecticut-ians don't speak like Martha. As a matter of fact, only this one friend does as far as I can tell. But she called my cookies "gorgeous" and still (it's been 6+ years) everytime I make them, I think of her.
My "secrets" are raw sugar, white whole wheat flour, and waiting. I put the dough in the frig for at least a night before baking it up and I don't know what happens scientifically, but yum.mee. If you're trying to incorporate more whole grains into your life, I highly recommend this white whole wheat flour. I used to add 1/4 cup (maybe 1/3 cup) of traditional whole wheat flour into my batter and my kids would notice and complain. The white whole wheat still alters the dough's texture a bit, but not to deter the under-12 palate. Try it and see! I also love this vanilla.
Gorgeous Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks butter, softened overnight
3/4 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 bag Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
1/2 bag Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix butter, sugars and vanilla together until well blended. Mix a bit longer than you think you should. Add the eggs and beat one at a time. Add the flour, sprinkle baking soda on top of flour and blend it in with a fork. Now mix everything either on low or by hand. Add chips and stir in by hand.

Spread dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, wrap completely and then wrap again in foil. Put in refrigerator overnight or for up to three days.

Take dough out of frig and either slice it and put it on your cookie sheet, or give it 3o minutes or so to soften. Then put dollops of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes, depending on your oven and your personal preferences. My daughter takes them out of the oven a wee-bit undercooked, let's them continue cooking on the tray as they cool and calls them perfect! xo
Note: Dough can be frozen too - if I'm making batches to freeze, I double wrap the dough in plastic wrap and then single wrap it in foil.

No comments: