Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Early Summer Salsa

I am not a natural cook in any way. I have to follow a recipe to the word, and if I'm out of something, I have little to no instinct for substitutions. Salsa, however, I can just make (and so can you). Aside from making it too salty, you just can't mess it up. And it is so delish! I've put more exact measurements in parentheses, but this really is a garden recipe where you just use what you have!

Early Summer Salsa
tomatoes, chopped (8 large)
onions, to taste, finely chopped (2)
cilantro, huge handful, finely chopped
garlic, chopped (3 cloves)
jalapeno, finely chopped (1)
splash of red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
cumin (1T)
red pepper flakes, a couple shakes
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, stirring with each addition. Chop ingredients to the size you like - my kids will eat this as long as the flavorful elements are chopped small. Remember, salsa will be more tangy/salty/spicy on day two. Serve with chips and enjoy! xo

No comments: