Thursday, July 18, 2013

This week in our garden...

I'm joining Amanda today to report on my garden. This year, I would describe my garden's growth as "slow and straggly" (not steady). It still is great fun, but our harvesting has been almost non-existent and we are half way to August!
Our grapes are beautiful, but alas, I didn't net them again this year. We are thinking about cutting them all off 1. to give the vine a break, and 2. to avoid "bird poop season" on our porch which is so gross and lasts a solid two weeks. Ew.
Faith has already made her famous pickles!
Swiss chard is new to our garden. So gorgeous, but we can't keep up with it!
I transplanted carrots and it worked - more on this soon because it was awesome!
Hard to see, but we had our first garlic harvest this year. The wood you see in the first photo is for our next raised bed which will be for garlic and onions only so we can dry them out a bit easier when the time comes. LOVE growing garlic - so fun to know something's thriving in your garden all winter long.
 Soybeans are new too - we're growing them in a container. So far, so good.
This is a new bed for red and yellow potatoes. I know they're not that healthy, but we love 'em, so we figured we should at least try to grow our own. Now that we are gluten free, I'm feeling cautious about using hay (dried wheat grasses?) to cover the potatoes. Need to make some calls, because so far, this is about $82 in dirt to keep them covered (exaggerating, but only a little).
Hope you're enjoying your Summer! xo

No comments: