Monday, February 1, 2010

Toilet Talk

Well, I've been a bit absent, but only because we've been cleaning and painting. Two very important, but not very photo-worthy things to do. We did finish painting our basement floor, my youngest's room and our bathroom all this weekend - yippee and phew!

Here we are the first day of February so I need to "report" on how we did with our goal for the One Small Change project. Our goal for January was to use fewer 13-gallon plastic bags. I'd give us a solid B. We did use several plastic bags twice (we have dumpsters to load into) and I immediately bought biodegradable plastic bags, which I will continue to do for the rest of my life (that sounds like one very good small change). We didn't try to construct reusable, washable trash bags though, and I'm going to claim my usual excuse: we're too busy getting the house ready to sell. It's legitimate, it is.

So that goal is on my list for the future, and I won't forget. I did find several cloth laundry bagson etsy which I thought could be prototypes for what we'd like to do here in our home.

Now for February. Our goal for February is this - we will put plastic bottles in the remaining two toilet tanks that we have. Our daughter came home from school one day very excited that we could easily save water and help the earth. She learned in science that if you place an empty, capped plastic bottle in the tank of your toilet, a family of 5 can save 350 gallons of water per month.
We tried it about a year ago in one tank and I'm here to say, it works!

What you see here is a simple kefir bottle - works perfectly! Many websites will recommend a 1/2 gallon milk jug, but that didn't work in our tank, so don't give up if you want to try this and have to use a smaller bottle.

So our One Small Change for February is that I will find plastic bottles for our remaining two toilets. It's simple, it's small, it's change! xo

1 comment:

Hip Mountain Mama said...

So glad your Feb change went well. I would say a B is a very good score! :) I love the bottle in the toilet idea! We do this also and it does really help!
Have a great month!
Suzy