Thursday, May 5, 2011

[GARO11] May 5

Welcome to the Great Art Room Overhaul of 2011!

Day 3
 [Before]
 
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Today's overhaul project is a bit lame, but necessary nonetheless. I needed to clear out my flat files, and I was dreading it because in addition to holding art supplies, this file holds all-things-from-my-kids-that-I-don't-quite-know-what-to-do-with-but-don't-want-to-throw-away. And general family things too as evidenced by that photo in there of me and David in high school. Yowsa.

I also found many (many) unfinished projects that I started when my kids were younger. It was hard to throw these things away even though my kids are too old for activities that they were. Sigh. I also knew that by clearing this space my project would leak down to my basement where there is also plenty of sorting and clutter clearing to be done. But so be it. It's time. So all family sentimental went into a bin in the basement, all unnecessaries found their way to the trash or recycling bin, and now I have two whole empty drawers to use purposefully when the time comes. 

I love these files. The wood on top is burned for some reason (craigslist find), so I need to buy a counter to cover it (and also raise the height a bit since I hunch over here to cut paper). Need to get the walls painted and pick something bright and cheery for the countertops. Also, I bought that red thing at a tag sale and we've had a hard time finding hooks to fit into it (which explains why right now there is only one hook). I need to get to the bottom of this and either find hooks, or set this piece free.

[After]
Summary: Great to clear this space, but denial may be setting in since a big stack of stuff was relocated to the basement. Need to keep track of how often I'm doing this.
Up next: Closet
Money Spent: Zero, a counter needs to be ordered.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Clearing out space, especially creative space, feels so good, doesn't it? I'm way jealous of those flat files- I'm always on the lookout for some on CL. I'm impressed at how much you're sticking to your GARO2011 ;) Good job!